Chai Mate Latte
By: Kenna Allison
This recipe is easy to customize to your preferences and will be your go-to all winterlong…or yearlong if you want to make an iced version in the warmer months!
There are many ways you can make this recipe, and we’ve listed a few of the options below.
- 4 tbsp Guayakí loose leaf yerba mate or 4 Guayakí mate bags
- Sweetener of choice to taste
- 3 cups milk or milk alternative, such as full fat coconut milk
CHAI TEA MIX OPTIONS:
Option 1: Chai tea bags
Option 2: Traditional masala chai (see ingredients list below)
Option 3: One cup of chai tea concentrate
TRADITIONAL MASALA CHAI INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 7 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger root
- 2 black tea bags
*Makes two 8oz drinks
*Adjust ingredients based on taste + dietary preference
- On the stove, bring milk to a boil over medium heat. If using a chai concentrate, heat it up at this step with the milk.
- In a french press or desired brewing vessel, add loose leaf yerba mate or mate bags plus the chai mix of your choice.
- Fill the french press with the boiled milk, cover, and let brew for 4-7 minutes.
- Grab your favorite mug and add in sweetener of choice to taste. Pour in brewed yerba chai and give a stir. Froth milk in a frother or with a mechanical mini-whisk and top off the latte with milk foam.
- Garnish your mug with cinnamon and maybe even a toasted marshmallow. Cheers!
If you’re wanting to make traditional masala chai from scratch, here is a recipe suggestion:
- On the stove, bring the milk to a boil over medium heat.
- Add in your mixed chai spices and sweetener of choice. Let simmer on medium/low heat for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add in 4 tbsp of loose leaf yerba mate or 4 individual mate bags, and let steep for 4 minutes.
- Carefully strain the brewed yerba chai through a fine mesh strainer over a bowl or pitcher. Pour a serving into your mug of choice, top off with frothed milk, and garnish to your liking!
Make sure to share your Guayaki Recipe with us on social media! Creativity is always encouraged.