Metamorphic DIY Lemon Elation
We have butterflies over this one...
Recipe & photos by Kenna Allison
Spring into Spring with this DIY version of Lemon Elation with some color-changing magic for extra pizzazz.
More from Kenna…
Spring is officially here, and I think we could all use a bit of magic in our lives. This DIY pairs the flavors found in Guayakí’s Lemon Elation with the enchanting properties of butterfly pea flower, giving the drink a deep blue hue that turns a hypnotic violet when the lemon is added. This concoction is perfect for ringing in the spring season of growth as flowers begin to emerge and butterflies start to hatch.
Making your own version of Guayakí’s canned flavors at home is great for many reasons:
- You can control the sweetness and use the sweetener of your choice. Get creative with maple syrup, honey, stevia, or coconut sugar!
- You get to experiment with loose leaf yerba mate.
- Aluminum is highly recyclable, but swapping out a can here and there for a homemade loose leaf version of your favorite flavor is a great way to reduce your waste footprint.
- Loose leaf is easy to travel with, so you’ll never be left Guayakí-less.
Whether you’re a Lemon Elation fan, or just looking for a new recipe to prepare your loose leaf yerba mate, keep reading to find out how to make yours!
- 3 tbsp of dried butterfly pea flowers
- 2 cups steeped and cooled Guayakí Yerba Mate
- To make the brew, use 2 tbsp of loose leaf yerba mate or one mate bag ~ visit our online store to stock up for spring!
- 1/4 cup of elderflower juice or to taste elderflower syrup
- Juice of 1 lemon or a splash of pre-made lemonade
- Sweetener of choice to taste if not using syrup or pre-made lemonade
Makes two 8oz drinks. Adjust ingredients based on taste + dietary preference.
- Add your loose leaf yerba mate or mate bags to a french press or desired brewing vessel along with about 2 tbsp of dried butterfly pea flowers. Steep for 4 minutes.
- Strain into another cup and allow your brew to cool completely. If you are adding your own sweetener like honey, add it to the drink while it’s still hot so it can dissolve thoroughly before the liquid cools off.
- Once your brew is cooled, add some yerba mate ice cubes a glass to keep the drink from getting watered down. For this special recipe, I made a blend of yerba mate cubes and blue butterfly pea flower cubes! You can use plain ice as well, but adjust your brew strength to prevent dilution.
- Pour one cup of your yerba mate and butterfly pea flower blend over the ice and add 1/4 cup of elderflower juice or elderflower syrup to taste.
- Now prepare for some magic! Take your juice from one lemon or pre-made lemonade and add it in. Watch the drink transform before your eyes!
Give it a stir and garnish with a lemon. Sip + COME TO LIFE!
Make sure to share your Guayakí Recipe with us on social media! Creativity is always encouraged.