DIY Tropical Uprising
Soak up the sun and kick back with this refreshing take on our most summery flavor
Recipe & photos by Kenna Allison
Call in the summer season with this sweet and earthy DIY spin on Tropical Uprising.
Summer is officially in full swing, and nothing is better than ice cold yerba mate to come to life and take full advantage of the season. We’re creating this delicious homemade version of Tropical Uprising that can be made with or without mango and dialed in to your preferences.
Making your own version of Guayakí’s canned flavors at home is great for many reasons:
- Are you allergic to mangoes but always wanted to try Tropical Uprising? Swap out the mango for another tropical fruit of your choice in this recipe!
- You can control the sweetness and use the sweetener of your choice. Up the tropical vibes by using coconut sugar for this recipe!
- You get to experiment with loose leaf yerba mate.
- Aluminum is highly recyclable but swapping out a can here and there for a homemade loose leaf version of your favorite flavor is a great way to reduce your waste footprint.
- Loose leaf is easy to travel with and the other ingredients are relatively easy to find, so you’ll never be left Guayakí-less.
Whether you’re a Tropical Uprising fan, or just looking for a new recipe to prepare your loose leaf yerba mate, keep reading to find out how to make yours!
- 4 tbsp Guayakí loose leaf yerba mate or 1-2 mate bags ~ easily order here
- 2 tbsp dried hibiscus flowers or tea
- 16oz water
- Sweetener of choice – we’re using coconut sugar for this
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup mango juice or guava juice
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
*Makes two 8oz drinks
*Adjust ingredients based on taste + dietary preference
- Fill your glass jar or french press with your yerba mate, hibiscus flowers or tea, and sweetener of choice to taste.
- Pour hot water over the loose leaf yerba mate to brew it.
- Once fully brewed, strain out all plant matter with a fine-mesh strainer and compost the waste.
- In a glass add some yerba mate ice cubes and start by filling your sun brew halfway.
- Top off with one or both of the recommended fruit juices.
- Stir, garnish, sip, and mentally transport yourself to your favorite vacay spot!
Make sure to share your Guayakí Recipe with us on social media! Creativity is always encouraged.