DIY Revel Berry
A sweet blend of yerba mate with hibiscus, raspberry, and blackberry!
Recipe & photos by Kenna Allison
I love a cold can of Guayakí Yerba Mate as much as the next person, but being able to utilize Guayakí’s loose leaf yerba mate to customize the flavors of your favorite cans is a fun and versatile way to come to life!
Today I’m back with another edition to my series of DIY recipes to make homemade versions of Guayakí’s famed can flavors. Whether you’re a Revel Berry fan, or just looking for a new recipe to prepare your loose leaf yerba mate (this is the perfect mid-summer drink), keep reading to find out how to make yours!
Making your own version of our canned flavors at home is great for many reasons:
- You can control the sweetness and use the sweetener of your choice.
- You get to experiment with loose leaf yerba mate.
- Aluminum is highly recyclable but swapping out a can here and there for a homemade loose leaf version of your favorite flavor is a great way to reduce your global impact.
- Loose leaf is easy to travel with and the other ingredients are relatively easy to find, so you’ll never be left Guayaki-less.
Whether you’re a Revel Berry fan, or just looking for a new recipe to prepare your loose leaf yerba mate (this is the perfect mid-summer drink), keep reading to find out how to make yours!
- 1 Cup Brewed Guayakí Yerba Mate + Hibiscus
- To brew 1 cup you’ll need 2 TBSP loose leaf yerba mate or 1 individual yerba mate bag + 1 TBSP or tea bag of dried hibiscus and 1 cup of water.
- Visit our online store to stock up!
- 1 Cup Mixture Raspberry/Blackberry Juice (Read full instructions for making homemade juice if desired)
- Organic Raw Honey, Sugar or Agave (or any other sweetener you desire)
- 3-5 Yerba Mate Ice Cubes (simply freeze brewed yerba mate in an ice tray to add to your finished drink without watering it down!)
- Lemon Juice
- To make a homemade raspberry + blackberry juice blend keep reading this first direction. If you are opting to use pre-made store bought juice that is totally fine too- just skip this step and move to the next.
- Raspberry/Blackberry Homemade Juice: In a small pan add a handful of raspberries and blackberries and cover with water just covering the berries. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes while mashing the berries and stirring occasionally. Using a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth strain your mixture into a heat safe bowl (this could take a few minutes, don’t squeeze or force the berries). Once fully strained add a sweetener of choice if desired and sweeten to taste. Let cool. *If your juice turns out too strong, you can dilute it with more water.
- Brew your yerba mate + hibiscus, strain if using loose plant matter, and set aside to cool. If you don’t think your juice alone will make the final result as sweet as you would like, you can add your sweetener of choice to the mate/hibiscus brew before it cools.
- In your drinking vessel of choice combine your 1 cup of yerba mate + hibiscus brew with your 1 cup of raspberry + blackberry juice and ice. Add lemon juice at desired taste level. Stir. Sip. Come To Life.
Make sure to share your Guayakí Recipe with us on social media! Creativity is always encouraged.